Why Fish with Backcountry Angler?
Seasons of the Trout
April 15 until 3rd Saturday MayEarly Season with few anglers, fish are not educated, one of the most productive numbers of fish caught throughout the year. Beaverhead, Clark Canyon Reservoir, Madison, Big Hole, high Mountain Lakes for Grayling and high mountain lakes at their best.
Big Trout Bonanza
Third Sat. May through June 15Upper Beaverhead opens third Saturday of May. After opening weekend time period can be the most productive for Big Fish on the upper Beaverhead. When the water levels are right on the Big Hole this is when we catch the largest fish of the season. Salmon Flies come off June 1 to June 20th depending upon run-off on the Big Hole. High Mountain Grayling fishing. Great fishing before the summer vacationer shows-up.
Summer Hatch Heaven
June15 through July 31Most productive time for consistent hatches, great weather, Salmon Flies, PMD’s Yellow Sallies.
Dry Fly Days
August 1 through September 15Dry Fly Time - Hoppers, Tricos, Crane Flies, Great weather, fish looking up. Most consistent fair weather. Fewer people than July – Great time period.
September 15 through OctoberGreat fishing, fall colors, solitary experience, Streamers, Beatis & Nymphs - one of our favorite times of the year.
Montana Fly Fishing Shop
Backcountry Angler has a full service fly shop. We are an authorized dealer of top-of-the-line equipment to supply all your fly fishing needs including Sage, Simms, Ross, Scientific Angler Mastery, Rio, Redington as well as other quality brands. This includes a large selection of flies as well as equipment and clothing. Not all equipment is created equal. It takes someone being on the water every day to truly know what is good and what is bad. We’ve seen it all. The worse thing that can happen is to go on a fishing trip and not be able to rely on your equipment. We can guide you through your purchases like no one else. We have a lifetime of experience with which to help you.
Dillon Montana Bed & Breakfast
Located within walking distance to amenities our Dillon Montana Bed & Breakfast is also close to famous fly fishing waters. Backcountry Angler can provide lodging for non-guided guests and travelers at our Fly Shop Inn with advance notice. The cabin can house up to 3 individuals in each private suite. Each suite has 2 bedrooms/sitting rooms, kitchen, private bath, air conditioning, gas fireplace, gas range, refrigerator, microwave, 3 queen beds, 1 twin bed, satellite TV, WIFI, ceiling fans, wooden porch with sitting area, custom tile, and native Douglas Fir log work.
- The 2020 Southwest Montana Fly Fishing Season was one for the record books. The fishing was outstanding with most of the area waters including the Beaverhead […]
- The 2019 Southwest Montana Fly Fishing Season has been Great! With most of the area waters including the Beaverhead River, Big Hole River, and Madison River […]
- It should be an exceptional year for the Beaverhead River. It looks like we are going to have a lot of water in the Beaverhead […]
- It looks like we are going to have a lot of water in the Beaverhead and Big Hole Rivers this upcoming season. The current snow […]
- The 2017 Southwest Montana Fly Fishing Season has been Great! With most of the area waters including the Beaverhead River, Big Hole River, and Madison River […]